Re: tie direction !?

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: tie direction !?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 05:46:45 -0700 (MST)

David Kastrup wrote
> Can be a memory-order thing.  When two things compare equal, their final
> order of decisions can depend just on which choice happened to get a
> location lower in memory.  In that case, the results need not even be
> deterministic given identical scores on the same platform with the same
> program.

Possibly yes.  On the other hand, this never seem to happen if the exact
same situation is being moved away from Y-offset 0 (the middle line).

I think it'd be favourable in any case to have a well-defined tie direction
in these neutral cases, i.e. pointing away from the neutral stem direction.
Tie.neutral-direction gives the impression to determine the tie direction in
neutral/undecided cases, but it obviously doesn't.

As Harm said, explicitly setting the tie direction is very unsatisfactory at
least if transposing instruments are concerned.

Isn't that a case for the issue tracker? "Unambiguously respect
Tie.neutral-direction"?

All the best,
Torsten