Re: an "odd" accidental problem...

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: an "odd" accidental problem...
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 17:20:46 +0100

On 27/07/18 14:10, David Kastrup wrote:
> Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> B~M wrote
>>> It appeared in the "Fantasy Etudes for
>>> Viola" written by
>>> Lillian Fuchs who was a significant contributor to Viola in the USA.
>>

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> Thanks for this background information.
>> Lillian Fuchs' expertise is beyond all possible doubt, and I apologize for
>> suspecting ignorance.
>> Moreover, her 16 Fantasy Etudes have been published by a renowned company,
>> and so this strange orthography may be well-founded.
>> It'd be interesting to learn about her motives, but, unfortunately, she
>> can't answer anymore.
>
> Enharmonics in violin/viola music can be used for maintaining a
> position-dependent correspondence between fingering and notation in
> preference over scale and notation in the rare situation where those
> differ (usually being able to play/notate a diatonic run aligns those
> two objectives pretty well on those instruments).
>
> I don't know the music in question, so I cannot vouch for either.  Just
> a suggestion of what might motivate some string composers to choose
> particular notation.

Or does she want the music played in that particular tonic scale ...
bear in mind enharmonic tuning is assumed because that's the way you
have to tune a keyboard, but not all instruments are (or can play)
enharmonic. And in those cases F-flat is very definitely not E. Hint -
if any notes are written as resting your finger on the string but not
pushing the string against the neck ... a not uncommon technique in
guitar playing.

Cheers,
Wol