Re: How to create an installer from the Lilypond build tree?

From: Engraver
Subject: Re: How to create an installer from the Lilypond build tree?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:49:29 +0200

Op 24 augustus 2018 12:11:05 schreef Federico Bruni <address@hidden>:

Il giorno sab 18 ago 2018 alle 21:44, Engraver
<"partitura.org"@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hallo all,

I have a (rooted) Android tablet, on which I run Linux Debian by
means of an app called Linux Deploy. The debian repositories for the
ARMv7 (or armhf) chipset only contain Lilypond 2.18.2. That served me
well for quite some time. However, the Edition Engraver requires at
least Lilypond 2.19.xx, so I decided to try and build Lilypond on my
tablet. I cloned the Lilypond source code and after several hours of
painstakingly apt-getting al required dependecies (and googling for
the correct packages names, since they're not always self-evident)
the build process succeeded.
So I have now a Lilypond version 2.21.0 suitable for the armhf
architecture.
Installing it was as simple as typing 'make install'. What I'd like
to know: is there a way to create an installer, so that I can run
that when something goes wrong with my current Linux installation?
And of course, if someone is interested in a recent Lilypond build
for armhf (though I suspect the possible user base is quite
small...), I'd love to share it. That is, if there is a way to create
an installer; it's not practical to zip/tar the build-tree and share
that.

Regards,
Auke

Hi Auke

I guess you are using Debian Jessie (oldstable)?
If you upgrade to Stretch and add the stretch-backports repository,
you'll get 2.19.x versions. See here:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lilypond

Hello Federico,

I use the testing version of Debian Buster. There is indeed (on first sight) a Lilypond 2.19 in the repositories. I installed that and ran ' lilypond -version': it reports itself as "2.18.2". Then I looked more closely to the packagename. It is called: "2.19.81+really-2.18.2-13". It seems that the experimental brach of Buster does have a real 2.19.xx. However, I only saw that after already having compiled Lilypond myself. I only wish there were a way to create an installer so that I don't have to create the complete build environment anew when something goes wrong with my current Linux installation.