Re: fonts not working as expected

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: fonts not working as expected
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 15:39:41 -0600

Hey, Kieren!
On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 2:40 PM Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Abraham,

> I just downloaded the latest version of Alegreya from the foundry, tried your code, and it worked as expected on my Win10 machine.

Is that also true if you use Alegreya Black?

Yep. Both work for me just fine.

Update: What’s now happening is that using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Medium")

outputs visible markup, styled in Alegreya [Regular] — the base document font — whereas using

    \override #'(font-name . "Alegreya Black")

outputs nothing (i.e., blank where there should be markup). All three font names appear in Frescobaldi’s auto-complete menu and Lilypond’s “show available fonts”…

Well, that is weird. Are you 100% certain Alegreya Medium is showing up as Alegreya Regular? I had to zoom in a fair amount before I could distinguish them clearly. As for Alegreya Black, that's a complete mystery.

> Does the generated PDF show a reference to the font proper?

In all three situations — no override, and with each of the two overrides seen above — the PDF contains *only* a reference to

    /BaseFont/XTCUKI+Alegreya-Regular/FontDescriptor

at least in "clear text".

Ugh…

Ugh, indeed. I'm out of ideas on this one since you're specifying everything correctly in the input file and the font files appear to be configured correctly. Possibly an OS problem? I know the recent update to Mojave has been fraught with font changes, but if you haven't updated yet, than that's obviously not a possibility here.

Best,
Abraham