Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 07:55:00 +0100 (CET)

> Inspired by Karlin’s comment
>
>> downloading Alegreya font from GitHub
>
> I went directly to the source
> (<https://www.huertatipografica.com/en/fonts/alegreya-ht-pro>) and
> downloaded a new full set from there. (The font set I had before was
> from Google Fonts.)
>
> Result: All fonts are displaying as expected, in all applications
> **including Lilypond**.
>
> Conclusion: Not all "Alegreya" fonts are the same!

Oh yes.  Comparing `Alegreya-Medium.ttf': The font available from
Google Fonts is version 2.003 (from October 2017, according to the
`modified' field in the font's `head' table, even if the file stamp
says December 2011) and contains 1344 glyphs.  The new font from the
above link is version 2.007 (generated March 2018) and has 2130
glyphs, coming with a much extended set of OpenType tables.  I also
checked whether the autohinting code (using my ttfautohint program) is
different, but it seems that both fonts were using the same version
since the `fpgm' and `prep' tables are essentially identical.

I've tested various versions of FreeType's `ftview' demo program on my
GNU/Linux box; I can always display both the old and the new font
without problems.  This means that at the most basic level there
doesn't seem to be a fundamental issue.  However, `ftview' doesn't
test the advanced OpenType stuff in the fonts; this gets handled by
Pango and HarfBuzz.

Assuming that the bug is in Pango and/or HarfBuzz: I don't know how
these libraries (as packaged with the lilypond binary) work on the
Mac; maybe they call the native MacOS font engine for font handling.
It is also possible that GNU/Linux versions of Pango and HarfBuzz are
newer, and which have a bug fixed that prevents the use of the old (or
new) Alegreya font.  Another possibility is that `fontconfig' has a
problem, not properly selecting the right Alegreya font from the
family...

With a quite high certainty, however, I can say that the bug is *not*
in lilypond itself.

Regarding problems on the Mac: Are you using TTFs of Alegreya?  Does
it work if you use OTFs instead (available from the Huerta site)?

    Werner