Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: fonts not working as expected [SOLVED, at least for OP]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 02:24:47 -0700

On 2018-10-31 1:59 am, Andrew Bernard wrote:
Hi All,

It's something much more subtle than the system/user font location. On my system, despite Kieran's success, it does not work, and when K upgrades the mac it may not work for him. In correspondence with the typographer of the
font, we have all definitively established what the correct version is.

This matter is specific to Alegreya, to the Mac, and to lilypond using it, not other programs. It does not arise with any other font that I know (but it is hard to test hundreds of thousands...) and does not arise on Windows
or various Linux distros.

I don't regard this as done and dusted yet. It fails on a Mac pristine
install for High Sierra. This is not good at all. I'm am continuing to look
further into this very pinpoint specific failure pattern. It's odd.

Hi Andrew,

I don't have access to any Mac environments, or else I'd help you chase this down. But I did have a few ideas for next steps, assuming you have not already done them.

The GitHub for the foundry has older versions of the font family as well as other fonts they publish. In the event there is something in their workflow that generates fonts with a rare but buggy characteristic, it would be good to test as many fonts there as reasonable. Especially it would be good to test older versions of the fonts that known to fail. If the failing case is exclusive to one or more specific versions, that might help to track down the underlying issue.

-- Aaron Hill