Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 18:01:15 +0000

From: Robert Blackstone <address@hidden>
Date: Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:36 AM
To: lilypond-user <address@hidden>
Subject: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

Hi all,

Up till now I have done all of my LilyPond work on a MacBook Pro with MacOSX 10.9.5, alias Mavericks.

Recently DropBox warned me that on april 9  it will end the support of the Dropbox Desktop App for this OS. In other words, to keep using this app., I will have to upgrade my OS.

You can upgrade to some version other than Mojave.  For example, I run Sierra (10.12.6) and it handles 32-bit apps just fine.

But if and when I do that I will no longer be able to use my LilyPond apps  since an upgraded Mac OS needs 64-bit versions.

My problem is that I have no idea how and where to get a 64-bit version of LilyPond for a Mac and how to install it.

Could anybody help or instruct me?

We cannot use our regular build system to create LilyPond binaries due to Apple’s restrictive licensing on the OSX SDK.

However, there has been discussion about this recently on the developer list.  Hans Åberg recently completed a 64-bit MacPorts build on OSX and says it works, although it takes a long time.  You can read about this here: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-02/msg00228.html

I’m sure that Hans would be willing to give you the MacPorts help you might need to build LilyPond.

HTH,

Carl