Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 15:58:04 +0100

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On 3/5/2019 8:27 AM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
>> I have a half-dozen Mac machines (of various ages and superpowers)
>> here, most of which do nothing >95% of the time. If "running GUB for
>> official builds" is a relatively one-click process [assuming the
>> setup is already done, of course!], then I’m happy to volunteer
>> cycles.
>
> So far from being a one-click process, at this point it's still just a
> research project. GUB needs taught how to build for 64-bit macOS, this
> needs a newer macOS SDK, and Apple says "use XCode on a Mac instead."
> I'm trying to ask on Apple Developer Forum about this, to see if this
> issue is really closed as tightly as it appears. (More permissive
> license terms in the past, perhaps?)
>
> And I can't answer the question of whether such a remote-Mac-user
> arrangement for macOS builds is acceptable and workable for the
> developers and software builders.

It's really not our beef and native compilation under MacOSX appears
feasible, certainly a lot more so than for Windows.  We are not involved
with most of the distributed versions of LilyPond under either GNU/Linux
or FreeBSD, so it is not that the absence of an official GUB-compiled
version for MacOSX would spell death for LilyPond on that platform.

--
David Kastrup