Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LilyPond 64-bit version for a Mac
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 15:51:29 +0100

> Hi Karlin,
>
>> Nothing. But unless the person running GUB for official builds is a
>> big Mac fan and wants to go to extra effort to produce macOS
>> installers, it's doubtful those will be coming from lilypond.org.
>
> I have a half-dozen Mac machines (of various ages and superpowers)
> here, most of which do nothing >95% of the time. If "running GUB for
> official builds" is a relatively one-click process [assuming the setup
> is already done, of course!], then I’m happy to volunteer cycles.

I don't see that it makes sense tying our release process to Apple
hardware.  Apple may offer a viable cross-compilation path via Darwin:
I don't know.  But if we cannot crosscompile an official distribution in
a reasonable manner like we do with other official distributions, it's
just up to Apple fans to make our sources work on their systems while
heeding Apple's licensing.

--
David Kastrup