Re: Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Hide staff with Arrows Possible without other program?
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 17:15:00 +0000

At 16:45 on 03 Mar 2019, Reggie wrote:
> Hello I was trying to create a score where a staff goes away and a
> simple horizontal arrow continues in its place even over page breaks.
> I cannot understand where to find this answer and I believe the
> framengraver is too much for myneeds. Is it possible?
>
> I would like to have a simple arrow go across the page or pages in
> place of staff then the staff would appear later as normal as found in
> many contemporary scores. Do I need to leave blank space and go add
> arrows in image software after LilyPond I hope not.
>
> Thank you for helping me with my question. I have a photo to show my
> help. The arrows will not always stay on one page but travel pages in
> place of staff in some cases which is very common.

Hi Reggie,

You can do this with a simple TextSpanner:

\version "2.19.82"

onStaffExtender = {
  \override TextSpanner.style = #'line
  \override TextSpanner.thickness = #6
  \override TextSpanner.to-barline = ##t
  \override TextSpanner.outside-staff-priority = ##f
  \override TextSpanner.Y-offset = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.padding = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.padding = #0
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right-broken.text =
  \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
  \override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text =
  \markup \fontsize #5 \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \repeat unfold 80 c'4