\markup on "topmost" voice in a Frenched score?

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: \markup on "topmost" voice in a Frenched score?
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 15:12:22 +0100

Hi List,

I have a small chamber setting that includes section titles that the client wants at the top of systems (stuff like "Interlude," "Finale," etc.). The problem I'm having is, as this is a "Frenched" score the topmost voice isn't always the same one. So I can't attach a \markup to a specific voice, but I want to find a way to apply them to whichever voice happens to be at the top of the score *at that point*.

Is there a way to do that? Is there some conditional formatting that can be applied to achieve something like that? I imagine this would also apply to tempo indications and other similar score instructions.

Thanks for the help,