Re: \acciaccatura collision

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \acciaccatura collision
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 09:03:05 -0400

Hi Martin,

> Following up my own question. I finally found a workaround that
> 1. prevents the collisions
> 2. doesn't require me to drastically change my page layout and spacing.
>
> The collision between the acciaccatura's slur and the following stem can be
> prevented by simply adding an invisible rest. The amount of shifting can be
> regulated by varying the length of the invisible rest.

My preference would be to use a presentation-layer (as opposed to
content-layer) tweak:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.80"

\score {
 \new Staff {
     \override Score.SpacingSpanner.strict-grace-spacing = ##f
   \time 2/4
   \repeat unfold 2 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura c'' d'' e'' } \break
   \repeat unfold 3 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura c'' d'' e'' } \break
   \repeat unfold 4 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura c'' d'' e'' } \break
   \repeat unfold 5 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura c'' d'' e'' } \break
   \repeat unfold 6 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura c'' d'' e'' } \break

   % and here is my workaround to prevent the colliding acciaccatura slur:
   \repeat unfold 7 { a'8 b' \acciaccatura { \tweak extra-spacing-width #'(0 .
0.5) c'' } d'' e'' }
 }
 \layout {
   indent=0
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

In addition to not mixing content with presentation (especially if you inject
this via the edition-engraver!), I think it’s more flexible and precise (since
adjustments to the exact spacing require only a numerical adjustment, rather
than a modification of the skip duration which adjusts the spacing by a
far-less-controllable amount).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer