Re: Guile for building lilypond on Ubuntu18.10

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Guile for building lilypond on Ubuntu18.10
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 02:17:16 +0100

Am Sa., 23. März 2019 um 01:20 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<address@hidden>:

> Ubuntu now only supports guile 2 in its own repositories.
>
> How does on obtain the guile 1.8 needed to build lilypond for Ubuntu 18.10?
> Do we have to build from the source repository? If so, what exact release?
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

because I need to switch guile frequently, I compile the guile-version
I need from a tarball or git repository.

For your purpose there may be easier methods. Though here what I do:

The 1.8.8-tarball can be found here:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guile/guile-1.8.8.tar.gz
Do configure with option:
./configure --disable-error-on-warning

The git-repository is available from the guile site. I use that
repository to build newer guile-versions or for experiments, though
you likely can build 1.8.8 from there as well.
Checkout
remotes/origin/branch_release-1-8
and again with
./configure --disable-error-on-warning
I've seen there are some newer commits by Thien-Thi Nguyen. I did not
look into them, though.

HTH,
  Harm