Re: Tangled up in Lilypond syntax

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tangled up in Lilypond syntax
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:18:47 -0400

Hi David,

> My understanding of the EE (which I've never used) is close to zero,
> but I thought it was conceptually a late part of the LP process,
> whereas \relative is just about the earliest. So I'm not sure
> I understand how you use the former to substitute for the latter.

Well, for example, I used to use the \tag system to execute edition-specific
tweaks (e.g., the MetronomeMark in the full score needs to be moved upward 1
space, but only 0.5 spaces in the violin part), line- and page-breaking, etc.
Now I use the edition-engraver to handle anything that is presentation-level:
extra-offsets, breaks, even the choice of final barline [!].

The only thing I use tags for anymore is "content-switching": e.g., choosing
between two different transitions based on what the output score is (e.g., full
musical version or song cycle version); choosing between two different notation
options without resorting to ossias; etc.

Hope that clears it up!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info