Re: Tangled up in Lilypond syntax

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tangled up in Lilypond syntax
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:19:10 -0400

Hi Aaron,

> I tend to think of something like \relative to be a lower-level construct,
> intended to be used as close as possible to the pitches in question.  Since I
> try to keep things organized in variables where content and structure are not
> intermixed, \relative never appears at a higher-level scope in my work.

That’s great… But essentially all of the documentation has \relative at the
top-level. So what is a newbie to think, other than "My code should look like

\paper { … }

\header {…}

\relative c' { … }

But then they start to cut and paste code bits, or switch the order of voices,
or any of a dozen other natural and intuitive operations that don’t imply ‘I’m
destructive!!’… and then wonder why their music goes off the deep end.

> The only time I have to be careful with \relative is when using \tagged
> expressions:

Yeah, the way \tags and \relative battled it out was the second major reason I
left \relative behind for good.
(Ironically, most of the things I used to use \relative for I now handle with
the edition-engraver!)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer