Re: Staff Change Line

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Staff Change Line
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 15:44:57 -0700

On 2019-03-31 6:07 am, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
Am 31.03.19 um 14:43 schrieb Erwinstein:
Forgive me for sending multiple messages but the code snippet in my previous message didn't make it in the email. Sorry, I used the raw tag in the nabble forum and it was stripped in the email sent to the mailing list. Sorry for
not knowing that will happen.

By the way, here is the code of that measure:

\version "2.18.2"

\new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff {
     \time 4/4
     \clef "treble"
     \relative c' {
       \key g \major
       << { e2~ e8 d d4 } \\ { <c g>4. c8 c4 <c g>4 } >> |
   \new Staff {
     \time 4/4
     \clef "bass"
     \relative c, {
       \key g \major
       << { r8 e'8 e2 } \\ { g,2. \stemUp <e' d,>4 } >> \stemNeutral |

(There's a >> missing.)

Well, either you or your email client erroneously stripped the ">>" from the original email. It did indeed contain ">>".

Unfortunately, lines beginning with one or more greater-than signs are used to indicate quoting [1] of previous material.

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting

In my mail client, for instance, the email appears to be quoting a quote of an empty line. (This is technically what ">>" as a complete line would mean.) And if I were to copy-and-paste, I do not get the ">>" as part of the text. It is an annoyance that I always have to manually correct for.

I have found that my mail client does seem to ignore quote characters if there are any spaces before. In general, I try to avoid putting ">>" on its own line but, if unavoidable, I indent it with some extra spaces.

-- Aaron Hill