Re: Scoped variables

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scoped variables
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 18:42:34 +0100

Peter Toye <address@hidden> writes:

> Timothy,
>
> This raises a further question which I can't see answered in the
> documentation: exactly what characters are allowed in a Lilypond
> variable name? NR says that the convention is alphabetic characters
> only,

It's alphabetic characters in the ASCII set plus all non-ASCII
characters, potentially interspersed with isolated single underlines or
dashes.

> but you seem to have found that digits and full-stops are allowed.

No, they aren't.  I.violin.1 = ... is an assignment of nested alists.
The alist under key violin in the alist in I is assigned a new value for
the key 1.

> Is this documented, or did you experiment?

Documentation is probably not all that extensive.

--
David Kastrup