Re: Scoped variables

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Scoped variables
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 11:40:41 +0000

David and others,

It seems that I've opened up a larger can of worms than I'd expected! Thanks to all for the suggestions and clarifications.

From what you say Quartet_No.I_Éloge_MovementI-ViolinI is a valid variable name - just checking that this is correct. But also (from Aaron Hill's email) so is "Quartet_No.1_Éloge_Movement1-Violin1" (The quotes being part of the variable definitions and use, not part of the name).

Maybe the documentation could be enhanced, possibly indicating the significance of the "." character. When I've finished my current projects (which may be late January) I'll have a look at it. But I'll have to get my head around the way in which the alists can be used in a constructive way first. My confusion came from the fact that the syntax for setting a variable and prepending to an alist  are the same. Not a problem once you know what you're doing to what. IYSWIM.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com