Re: Words under notes with dashed slur

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Words under notes with dashed slur
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:05:36 -0600

On Sat 18 Jan 2020 at 11:06:57 (-0500), kieren_macmillan kieren_macmillan wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> > I am trying to do a single-stave (voice) score with words in two
> > languages. In one measure, I have a dotted crochet tied to a quaver with
> > a dashed slur because it is sung to two syllables in one language but
> > only one syllable in the other language.
>
> There are several ways of accomplishing what you want. Perhaps the simplest to
> understand is this one:
>
> %%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS  %%%%
> \version "2.19.83"
>
> thenotes = { \once \phrasingSlurDashed c''4.\( 8\) }
>
> onesyllable = \lyricmode { six \markup \null }
> twosyllables = \lyricmode { sev -- en }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff \new Voice \thenotes
>     \addlyrics \onesyllable
>     \addlyrics \twosyllables
>   >>
> }
> %%%%  SNIPPET ENDS  %%%%

You might also try modifying that to:

onesyllable = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
six __ _ }

I use this construction frequently enough to define in my library:

ll = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT }
cc = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #CENTER }
rr = \lyricmode { \once \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #RIGHT }

so that I can write:

onesyllable = \lyricmode { \ll six __ _ }

Cheers,
David.