Re: SVG style and contributing barrier to entry

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: SVG style and contributing barrier to entry
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 11:55:05 +0200 (CEST)

> I just discovered that the “style” tag created inside svg output
> uses the wrong syntax, [...]
>
> A trivial one-line patch to fix this (based on git master): [...]

Thanks.

> Wanting to submit this patch, I've looked at the LilyPond
> Contributor's guide¹, and frankly, I'm amazed by the height of the
> barrier to entry: [...]

Well, you just *did* submit a patch, and I'm going it to apply soon.
BTW, you can also send e-mails to the 'bug-lilypond' list without
being subscribed; it just takes longer until such e-mails are
forwarded from the quarantine area, and you might miss responses.

Note that those 'barriers' have mainly historical reasons; we will
probably soon move to a different system that should provide a better
framework for one-time patches like yours.

On the other hand, submitting patches regularly needs *a lot* of
self-discipline, this is, you have to follow strict rules to make a
good-looking patch – you can't expect that developers are cleaning up
random contributions.  Believe me, submitting via git-cl or doing a
pull request on github and friends is just the last step, and it is by
far the easiest part in the whole process.

    Werner