Re: 2.21.1 change of behavior of \compressMMRests?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: 2.21.1 change of behavior of \compressMMRests?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 18:06:48 -0500

On Sat 02 May 2020 at 14:10:44 (-0700), Paul Scott wrote:
> Now I have tried it with no improvement.

But you don't show us what you ran.

> Also,  the whole point of \timing is to not to have stuff in or before
> the parts which can all be in one function (timing or common).  As I
> said I have been using this idea for many years and now the behavior
> seems to have changed.

But you haven't shown us an MWE of your construction that works in 2.19.

Neither of your examples looks anything like the example in NR.
The first one has nothing after \compressMMRests because you followed
it with }, and the second one applies to s1*28, which contains no
rests.

\compressMMRests needs to be followed either by an R… or by { }
containing music with instances of R… within it. A variable can stand
for either of those.

> On 5/2/20 1:11 PM, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:

> > Have you tried: PartAComplete = << \timing \compressMMRests \PartA >>

You see, \PartA is a variable containing music with R… instances.

So this works in 2.19 and 2.21.1:

timing = { s1*28 \bar "|." }
PartA = { R1*4 R1*24 }
PartAComplete = << \timing \compressMMRests \PartA >>
\score {
  \new Staff
  \new Voice
  \PartAComplete
}

> > Le sam. 2 mai 2020 à 22:02, Paul Scott <address@hidden
> > <mailto:address@hidden>> a écrit :
> >
> >     The following MWE is a variation of the first code example in 2.21.1
> >     Notation manual 1,2,2 Full Measure
> >     Rests:
> >
> >     % Rest measures contracted to single measure
> >
> >     \score{
> >        \new Staff \new Voice
> >        << { \compressMMRests } { R1*4 R1*24 R1*4 b'2^"Tutti" b'4 a'4} >>
> >     }
> >
> >     mmxtest.ly:13:25: error: syntax error, unexpected '}', expecting
> >     \header
> >
> >     I believe this used to work In 2.19.xx.
> >
> >     How can I accomplish the following, i.e. have the structure common to
> >     all parts in a single definition as I have been doing for many years
> >     with Lily?
> >
> >     For example:
> >
> >     \version 2.20.0"
> >
> >     timing = { \compressMMRests s1*28 \bar "|." }
> >
> >     PartA = { R1*4 R1*24 }
> >
> >     PartAComplete = << \timing \PartA >>
> >
> >     \score{ \new Staff \new Voice \PartAComplete }

Cheers,
David.