Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 09:51:20 -0500

Kieren,

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 9:22 AM Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > But minor-mode music is often a conglomeration of the "forms" of the
> > minor scale which makes them of limited separate utility.  Nothing is
> > in "harmonic minor."  Notating something in minor by J. S. Bach could
> > be terrifying.
>
> Oh, I totally agree with "terrifying" (and, in my opinion, unhelpful).  =)
> I’m just pointing out that it’s not difficult to figure out how to make it
> work for people who don’t mind living in terror.

Possibly one could treat minor mode as the natural form with variable
^6 and ^7.  Dispense with "natural," "melodic," and "harmonic."  This
would be more realistic.  But...I don't see the need and I don't want
to be the one to figure out an implementation :)

My vote will always be on the side of notating by what something *is*
and not what it appears because of accidents of key signature.

What of the tonal music where the key is ambiguous/constantly
shifting?  And what of those spots in Chopin and Schubert in, say,
F-flat major?

"Well, then, don't use the sticky pitches!"  In my opinion, the pitch
entry should conceptually consistent whether you are notating
something in A minor entirely devoid of accidentals or dodecaphonic
music.

DN