Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 15:52:00 -0600

> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:22:15 -0400
> Subject: Re: Suggestion to make sharps and flats persistent
> Hi David,
>
> > But minor-mode music is often a conglomeration of the "forms" of the
> > minor scale which makes them of limited separate utility.  Nothing is
> > in "harmonic minor."  Notating something in minor by J. S. Bach could
> > be terrifying.
>
> Oh, I totally agree with "terrifying" (and, in my opinion, unhelpful).  =)
> I’m just pointing out that it’s not difficult to figure out how to make it work for people who don’t mind living in terror.

But if we support terrifying modes, then we have to deal with all of the issues that come fom people having difficulty with terrifying modes.

I'm a firm believer in the simple statement that in LilyPond, you type the pitch you hear, and the software is responsible for getting the display correct (strictly speaking, this means that I should oppose relative mode, although I admit I'm inconsistent here).

Making up a syntax is easy.

Implementing the syntax is harder -- there are lots of corner cases.

Supporting difficult syntax is harder stil -- it'a an ongoing expense.   That's why I'm so appreciative of David K's work to simplify and rationalize our syntax so it (almost) always works the way one thinks it should.

A user could certainly write a music function that would allow the entry of "what you see" instead of "what you hear".  And if they did so, it could be added to the LSR.

But I would be against adding this to the official LilyPond distribution.

Thansk,

Carl