Re: Adding a new instrument

From: Caio Barros
Subject: Re: Adding a new instrument
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 18:32:25 -0300

Em seg., 18 de mai. de 2020 às 15:49, Tobias <address@hidden> escreveu:
Is it possible to add a new instrument? What are the necessary steps to
do so?

Hey, Tobias. I think those are just names that map to General Midi [1] instruments. On the back-end it is just assigning a number to identify which instrument you choose so that in a software or hardware using the General Midi specification you would _more or less_ know which instrument you will hear. I say more or less because even if instrument #1 is "Acoustic Grand Piano" depending on your midi device and "Acoustic Grand Piano" will sound waaay different depending on the sample sounds. MIDI is just a pianola roll, the actual sound you will hear depends on the pianola.

That said, what I would do if I was you is just to choose a percussion instrument (e.g. "taiko drum") and then using a midi software to map this to the zabumba sound you want, provided you have that sample.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI