Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Naming RFC: Properties, property sets, presets
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 08:28:14 +0100

On 13/07/20 03:16, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Hi Urs,
>
> Great work. I have an issue with 'preset'. If you look at software
> synths, for example, they can store and load 'presets' but these are
> _all_ the parameters for a patch. I don't ever think the word preset
> means a subset of a set of settings or properties.

Agreed. "preset" is completely the wrong word, sorry.

In normal English, it means "set beforehand", and is not associated in
any way with the mathematical concept of a set. It will be very
confusing to an English speaker.

You've got property sets (two words). Why not override sets? Or even
property subsets - actually that might be an extremely good choice, as
it includes in itself the concept that it does not change anything that
it does not itself contain. Plus they are all very clearly related...

As for the word "flavour" (yes, use the US spelling why don't you :-),
that actually ime is in use in computing. Like there are different
variations of SQL depending on the underlying database, with my
favourite database the word "flavor" is used to declare which original
version the modern one is emulating. So if behaviour is noticeably
different between different settings, then yes flavor would ring
perfectly normal with me.

Cheers,
Wol