Re: macro for \once\override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: macro for \once\override
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 11:26:41 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> Maybe
>>
>> \void \displayLilyMusic
>> \once
>> \propertyTweak color #red
>> \propertyTweak font-size #3
>> \propertyTweak direction #UP Voice.Slur
>>
>> helps?
>
> It does, thanks a lot!  I didn't have this function on my radar, and
> it isn't documented in the NR at all.
>
> Attached a version using \propertyTweak.  Right now, this wins
> w.r.t. readability IMHO.
>
> BTW, would it be possible to enhance `\propertyTweak` to write
>
>   \propertyTweak fret-diagram-details.dot-color #'white
>                  FretBoard
>
> as
>
>   \propertyTweak dot-color #'white
>                  FretBoard.fret-diagram-details       ?

Have you even tried?  This works and produces identical results.  With
the obvious consequence that it makes no difference for stacking
_multiple_ \propertyTweak commands, so it doesn't help a lot in your
case.  And actually using this syntax for the final \propertyTweak is
likely going to be a lot more confusing than just staying like you are.

--
David Kastrup