Re: enteredby header

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: enteredby header
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 00:56:20 +0100

Hi,

please keep the discussion on the list, others may want to participate
cc-ing the list again

Am Sa., 30. Jan. 2021 um 21:58 Uhr schrieb Kuredant <kuredant@gmail.com>:

> On 1/31/2021 4:45 AM, Thomas Morley wrote:
> > Am Sa., 30. Jan. 2021 um 17:06 Uhr schrieb Kuredant <kuredant@gmail.com>:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The "enteredby" header field is mentioned in
> >> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/snippets/titles#titles-demonstrating-all-headers.
> >>
> >> However, I can't find any reference to this field in the PDF output.
> >> Does anyone know how this field is used by LilyPond?
> >>

> > \header initiates a special module.
> > In general, one could assign whatever value to wharever key, like:
> >
> > \header {
> >    foo = "FOO"
> >    bar = "BAR"
> >    buzz = "BUZZ"
> > }
> >
> > Those values may be used by other code, p.e. \bookTitleMarkup or
> > page-headers/footers, etc.
> >
> > I'm not aware "enteredby" is currently used by LilyPond, maybe mutopia
> > used it ... not sure, though.
> >
> > Anyway, here an example with custom header settings and a
> > bookTitleMarkup looking at it.
> >
> > myBookTitleMarkup =
> >    \markup
> >      \column {
> >        \large \bold
> >        \fill-line {
> >          \fromproperty #'header:foo
> >          \fromproperty #'header:bar
> >          \fromproperty #'header:buzz
> >        }
> >        \bold \fill-line { \fromproperty #'header:enteredby }
> >      }
> >
> > \paper {
> >    bookTitleMarkup = \myBookTitleMarkup
> > }
> >
> > \header {
> >    foo = "FOO"
> >    bar = "BAR"
> >    buzz = "BUZZ"
> >    enteredby = "Harm"
> > }
> >
> > { R1 }
> >
> > Cheers,
> >    Harm
> >
> > P.S.
> > there's a typo in the linked snippet: metre should read meter, which
> > indeed is called by the default bookTitleMarkup.
> > Now corrected inside LSR
> > http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=279
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> If it was used by Mutopia, it doesn't seem to be anymore:
> https://www.mutopiaproject.org/contribute.html#update
>
> Since this snippet lists "all header fields with special meanings",
> wouldn't it be better to remove "enteredby"?

Well, in our code base we've currently 6 uses of setting "enteredby",
I'm not sure, if we should remove them.

Anyway, the title of the snippet "Demonstrating all headers" is
misleading. It tries to demonstrate all possible header-settings,
which will cause _printed_ output with default bookTitleMarkup, though
"texidoc", "enteredby" and "source" are not called by bookTitleMarkup
and thus not printed.
There are even a lot more established header-settings with special
meaning, but without printed output, see NR 3.2.3 Creating output file
metadata

Currently I've no good idea, how to improve docs/snippets or if this
is needed at all...

Cheers,
  Harm