Re: Pitch value of previous note

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pitch value of previous note
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:41:11 +0200

David Sumbler <david@aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 04:17 -0700, Aaron Hill wrote:
>
>> A duration without pitch is encoded as a NoteEvent with the pitch
>> property.  expand-repeat-notes! is the internal procedure that
>> carries over the most recent pitch.  So long as you insert these
>> events early enough, LilyPond should do the heavy lifting for you.
>
> You are correct: I invented a problem where none exists.
>
> I confess that I had not realized that a duration without a preceding
> pitch or rest takes the pitch of the preceding note.  I actually
> thought that, following a rest, it would produce further rests.

We've had a fairly recent discussion about this design choice sometime
in the last three months or so.  My rationale was that it could be used
for writing rhythmic parts using only a single pitch or drum type in a
manner where you only had to write that pitch or drum type once and then
keep referencing it.  That rationale also explains a difference in
behavior with chord repeats (q) with respect to retained
articulations/fingerings.

> I must have seen this in action many times, otherwise I would have
> lots of pitches in my music where there should be rests.  But somehow
> it doesn't seem to have lodged itself in my brain.
>
> Perhaps I'm getting too old for this!

Still waiting for an actual _example_ of what you want to be able to
write.

--
David Kastrup