Re: Pitch value of previous note

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Pitch value of previous note
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 17:51:57 +0100

On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 16:41 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
David Sumbler <
david@aeolia.co.uk
> writes:

On Fri, 2021-04-30 at 04:17 -0700, Aaron Hill wrote:

A duration without pitch is encoded as a NoteEvent with the pitch
property.  expand-repeat-notes! is the internal procedure that
carries over the most recent pitch.  So long as you insert these
events early enough, LilyPond should do the heavy lifting for you.

You are correct: I invented a problem where none exists.

I confess that I had not realized that a duration without a preceding
pitch or rest takes the pitch of the preceding note.  I actually
thought that, following a rest, it would produce further rests.

We've had a fairly recent discussion about this design choice sometime
in the last three months or so.  My rationale was that it could be used
for writing rhythmic parts using only a single pitch or drum type in a
manner where you only had to write that pitch or drum type once and then
keep referencing it.  That rationale also explains a difference in
behavior with chord repeats (q) with respect to retained
articulations/fingerings.

I must have seen this in action many times, otherwise I would have
lots of pitches in my music where there should be rests.  But somehow
it doesn't seem to have lodged itself in my brain.

Perhaps I'm getting too old for this!

Still waiting for an actual _example_ of what you want to be able to
write.

As I indicated, I imagined a non-existent problem.  With no problem to be solved, an example serves no purpose.

David