Re: Inserting a one-time Volta bracket

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Inserting a one-time Volta bracket
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 20:57:01 +0200

Am Di., 15. Juni 2021 um 08:44 Uhr schrieb Brent Annable
<brentannable@gmail.com>:

> Here are my efforts so far. I don't think this solution is very elegant, but
> if I could find a way to extend the measure length to accommodate the text,
> this might work. But I'm sure there must be an easier way.
>
> Sorry for the massive file, but I thought it was best to include the entire
> context since the spanner for the bracket seems to be affected by lots of
> different things.
>
> Brent.
>
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 14:41, Brent Annable <brentannable@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to create the effect in the picture, of a one-time Volta bracket
>> above the staff with the text "last time only". I would prefer the text to
>> be inside the bracket, but that's another matter. Right now I'm just looking
>> for a way to get the bracket up there - I've tried using actual Volta
>> repeats and deleting/removing/changing things with tips from previous emails
>> and snippets, but after an hour I'm just not getting anywhere.
>>
>> Does somebody know an easy way?
>>
>> Many thanks and regards,
>>
>> Brent.

Why not one of below?

\version "2.22.0"

\allowVoltaHook "|"

#(define-bar-line "|-foo" "|" #f "|")

{
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.font-name = ""
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.minimum-length = 40
  \repeat volta 2 R1
  \alternative {
    {
      \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "foobarbuzzfoobarbuzz"))
      \bar "|-foo"

Dan cleaned up some volta stuff:

\version "2.23.0"

\allowVoltaHook "|"

{
  R1
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.text = "foobarbuzzfoobarbuzz"
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.font-name = ""
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
  \override Score.VoltaBracket.minimum-length = 40
  \volta 1 R1
}

HTH,
  Harm