Re: Can I put the F key sign # down one octave? *KeySignature*

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Can I put the F key sign # down one octave? *KeySignature*
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:55:37 +0100

> On 30 Jun 2021, at 14:49, darkijah@jesusgod-pope666.info wrote:
>
> mmmm, No I don't think so... The Problem I had, and as far as I know my other
> friend that started on the Tin Whistle - was to figure out what they in the
> first place was. As the # is so far up on the line - you never get the
> connection as you don't get to that note before a lot later. I think it is
> pretty good - I will keep it so far :) And see how things go with it - but
> your thoughts are noted. But... I think a player can understand it much more
> now - some color coding might make it even better! :P
>
> Why is the key sharp even so high on the staff in the first place? Is there a
> point to it beside the maybe visually? If not, we will just change it all
> around the world I guess! ;)

I’m not a music historian, so can’t tell you that. Once a player has some
familiarity with key signatures, they’re not read note by note but perceived as
a shape which says “G major” or “E minor” etc. The shape is conventional, and
at some stage your pupil will have to switch from your chosen shape to the
conventional one. You might think it easier to read “blood” when it’s presented
as “blud” in an early-reading book - the reader has to un-learn this spelling
later.

If you would prefer your pupils not to have to cope with the additional
complication of a key signature early on, you could leave the key signature out
altogether, and put a sharp (or flat) in front of each note when it’s needed -
this will happen automatically in Lilypond, which requires you to enter a sharp
or flat if either of these applies to a note, and omits the sharp or flat sign
if these are part of the key signature.

But I’m not a music educator either, and lily pond is sufficiently flexible for
you to do virtually anything!

Regards,

Michael