Re: Problem

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Problem
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 15:36:17 +0000

On 8/1/21, 8:42 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Craig Comstock"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
craig@unreasonablefarm.org> wrote:

    > Could I help/ volunteer somehow that this workaround gets integrated in
the current download version, don't know if that error only happens with MacOS
X.14.6 aka 'Mojave' though.

    FWIW I am using 20.0 on OS X and can probably help even though I am quite
new to Lily pond I have much experience with building software. Would be happy
to contribute as this software is helping me out nicely in my composition work.

    Let me know if and how I can help.

We probably need to figure out the best method to move forward and try to
consolidate resources around that method.

The current release mechanism doesn't work to produce new 64-bit Apple builds,
because they require the Apple SDKs and the license for the Apple SDKs requires
the use of Apple hardware.  LilyPond development is open-source based, so there
is not a lot of enthusiasm for moving the main development tree to a
proprietary platform.

Marnen Laibow-Koser has built installable .app files for certain versions of
LilyPond.  He has not updated the builder for newer versions.  It would be
helpful to update the builder for newer versions.

https://gitlab.com/marnen/lilypond-mac-builder

Jonas Hahnfeld has been working on an experimental binary build that avoids the
complexities of GUB and avoids cross-compiling, that uses  separate packages
for each system, thus enabling a user of MacOS to build their own binary.
IIRC, this system builds binaries, not .app bundles.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-05/msg00027.html

MacPorts has a successful build for LilyPond, although the last time I checked
it did not create an installable application (.app file).

https://ports.macports.org/port/lilypond/summary

Jacques Menu has a method for building installable LilyPond applications on
MacOS, which I assume means .app bundles.  I don't know the details.  I should
have followed up more with him on the details:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-04/msg00081.html

For me, personally, I'd prefer to see us follow up with either Marnen's or
Jaques's work (they may actually be very similar -- I'm not sure) so we can get
installable .app bundles, not just installed binaries.  Installable app bundles
make it very easy to use different versions of LilyPond in Frescobaldi.

But any help would certainly be appreciated.  It should be coordinated on the
lilypond-devel list, rather than the lilypond-user list.

HTH,

Carl