Re: Problem

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Problem
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 18:20:56 +0200

Am Sonntag, dem 01.08.2021 um 15:36 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> Jonas Hahnfeld has been working on an experimental binary build that avoids
> the complexities of GUB and avoids cross-compiling, that uses  separate
> packages for each system, thus enabling a user of MacOS to build their own
> binary.  IIRC, this system builds binaries, not .app bundles.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-05/msg00027.html

Correct, right now the system builds only the binaries. But as far as I
understand, .app bundles are only directories with some additional meta
information in an XML file. So in the end, it's a matter of somebody
investing the time and figuring out how to put that together.
(FWIW I've almost finished a rewrite of the system in Python which I
hope can eventually land in LilyPond itself. Still need to work on a
few details, but hopefully not too long...)

> For me, personally, I'd prefer to see us follow up with either Marnen's or
> Jaques's work (they may actually be very similar -- I'm not sure) so we can
> get installable .app bundles, not just installed binaries.  Installable app
> bundles make it very easy to use different versions of LilyPond in
> Frescobaldi.

Can you explain? Just extracting different versions of the binaries
produced by the above system will work just fine. IIRC you only need to
adjust the paths in Frescobaldi, right?

Jonas