Re: Persian music package

From: Kees van den Doel
Subject: Re: Persian music package
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 07:45:20 -0700

Hi,

Please include the list in reply.

I have no Idea what E72 and E60 etc. is, to me it sounds like European freeway names.

If you guys want to merge it into main LP distribution that's great, and I'll be happy to help on Persian music issues but I'm fairly useless on technical details.

The docs inside persian.ly are intended to give you all the info on Persian music needed for correct typesetting, but if something is lacking let me know and I'll add it when I update the package.

However you can always check how things should look/sound by downloading the original package as it is working perfectly with old LP (and probably with new, but I haven't regressed all my scores)  and has been extensively used for over a decade.
MIDI tuning  is very important esp. if you are learning Persian tuning.

Cheers,
Kees

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 1:56 AM Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2021, at 22:30, Kees van den Doel <kvdoel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 1:25 PM Hans Åberg <haberg-1@telia.com> wrote:
>
> Change the names for the double arrowed accidentals to the ones you want to use. They are in smufldata.ily.
>
>> Tuning is defined correctly in persian.ly already so there is no problem to solve there.
>
> I recall you used E60. E72 might be a better choice. It is your choice though.
>
> Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about.

I misremembered, I see now that the file persian.ly I have uses E53 and regular.ly:

However, if you would want to make a version that is in the LilyPond distribution, that currently does not have the file regular.ly, you might make an E72 version, the two comma alterations actually being in E36. This is what Adam Good did with the rewritten makam file.

The neutral seconds in E72, relative E53, only change a few cents, just adjusting the diatonic scales to E12. So it is a good alternative when mixing with E12 instruments, at least from the theoretical point of view: It would be nice to hear what somebody that knows this music well thinks.