Re: Persian music package

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Persian music package
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 20:47:42 +0200

> On 6 Aug 2021, at 18:46, Kees van den Doel <kvdoel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well I know Persian music very well, and the tuning as-is is perfect, so I'm
> not sure what we are talking about here.
> Persian music doesn't "raise by commas". There are no "different tunings",
> there is the current MIDI tuning which is correct and anything different is
> wrong.

The values you have set are wrong from the theoretical point of view:

Persian music uses the Pythagorean tuning of which E53 is a close
approximation. The average values that Hormoz Farhat's Dastgah book indicates
is a neutral second raised about two commas from the minor second, which is
what one typically uses.

E53 has a sharp that is 5 commas, but a minor second m = 4 and a major second M
= 5, which is what Graham Breed's file regular.ly does.

You have merely divided the LilyPond sharp into 5 parts, then using the
theoretical comma values indicated above, without adjusting the minor and major
seconds, so you land on E60.