Placement of dynamic hairpins under chords with seconds

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Placement of dynamic hairpins under chords with seconds
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 11:59:53 -0700

I have a minor quibble. If you have a dynamic hairpin under a chord
with a second interval, the hairpin extends a little to the left (to
cover the whole chord?)  I think it should only extend to the stem.
I'm not an expert in engraving but the sheet music I've seen seems to
back this up. What do you guys think?

%%%
\version "2.23.3"
\language "english"

% chords of seconds extends hairpin beyond stem to the left

\relative c'' {
  <e fs>16 q q q q \< q q q <ds fs>-. q-. q-. q-. <ds b'>8 \sf r
}

% without chords, hairpin is positioned well

\relative c'' {
  c16 c c c c \< c c c c c c c c8 \sf r
}
%%%