The mystery of vertical spacing

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: The mystery of vertical spacing
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 21:00:18 +0100

One of the hardest things to find information on, it seems to me, is how
to adjust vertical spacing.  There's lots of information about adjusting
spacing within systems, but little about fitting systems on a page.

In the example below, there is lots of space between the systems.  The
global font size is 20.2; if I increase the font size to 20.3 Lilypond
will no longer tolerate having these systems on the same page.  Why? -
there's plenty of room.  More to the point, how do I tell LilyPond to
allow the systems to get closer?

Paul

JPEG image