Re: The mystery of vertical spacing

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: The mystery of vertical spacing
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 00:10:13 +0100

Setting that option draws coloured lines along the skyline.  At first
glance the lines hug the notation tightly throughout, as I'd expect.
But in the first line of the piece there are a couple of small oddities.
(1) towards the end of the third staff (bar 7, secondo), the top skyline
has a blip which doesn't relate to any object, except perhaps it relates
to (2) at the same place in the staff below there is a tuplet bracket
and clashing dynamics (which I intended to revisit later) which are
outside the "skyline" (do you have a name for the underneath one?).

It occurs to me that this might be related the two occurrences of the
error: "programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress
encountered for #'adjacent-pure-heights (VerticalAxisGroup); continuing,
cross fingers" which I have had since writing that page.

Beyond that, I have to admit that this score has a lot of what seem to
me to be pretty extreme excursions outside the staves, but all seem
reasonably logical to me.

Paul