Re: Adding a quote to lyrics

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Adding a quote to lyrics
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 00:02:31 +0200

Le 09/09/2021 à 23:46, Kira Garvie a écrit :
Hello all,
I am typing the lyrics to a hymn, and it has the line: The cry “To arms!” is heard afar and near. How do I do those quotations without Frescobaldi thinking it’s a string of code? Also I am the newbie-est of newbies with coding and this program here so please be gentle and very specific! Thank you!!
Best,
Kira

Hi,

I assume your problem is about something like this:

\version "2.22.1"

{ c'1 c' }
\addlyrics { "To arms" }

where you want the quotes to appear as part of the
words "To" and "arms". In the example shown above,
they group the two words together, making them a
single syllable (see [1]).

To add these quote marks,
- enclose each word in quotes, to enable a parsing mode
  that has string-specific features,
- add a backslash before the quotes you want to include
  literally, to 'escape' them so that they will be
  treated as part of the string without ending the string
  as they would normally do.

This technique is explained at [2]. The code becomes:

{ c'1 c' }
\addlyrics { "\"To" "arms\"" }

That being said, an attractive option would be to use curly
quotes. These characters are separate from straight quotes,
so they don't have synctactic meaning to LilyPond. Also, they
render much nicer in the output.

{ c'1 c' }
\addlyrics { “To arms” }

Cheers, and -- welcome on this list!
Jean

[1]: https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#multiple-syllables-to-one-note [2]: https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#entering-lyrics