Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:51:36 +0200

Hello David

No that does not work, you need to compile from git. You might notice that
your generated pdf file does not in fact have transparency. This is because
the gs version bundled with the LP webpage download is 9.21, which is very old
(2016ish). For this transparency thing to work we need at least 9.53 I think.

As I said, pdftops/poppler is now intelligent enough to recognize that there
all alpha channels are actually fully visible and thus ignores transparency,
while pdf2ps/gs just assumes that there is transparency by some flag.

I have appended a pdf compiled against current git with gs 9.53.3 from debian
sid, so you can see the actual result with transparency. Also I’ve included
what pdftops makes of this.

So basically pdftops rasters with a resolution of 300 dpi, while gs/ps2writer
rasters by default with 720 dpi. So to get the same quality you’d have to
invoke pdftops with -r 720. But then the produced files are basically the same
size.

That being said, pdftops has some additional poppler advantages, so it is no
bad thing to use it (it generally handles fonts better for example). But I
guess one should increase the -r parameter, because 300 dpi is not really
sufficient for high quality printing.

But then, you probably should not convert your scores to ps anyways.

Cheers,
Valentin