Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 10:29:00 -0500

On Mon 13 Sep 2021 at 07:12:06 (+0000), Valentin Petzel wrote:
> 13.09.2021 06:59:02 David Wright:
> > On Sat 11 Sep 2021 at 21:35:00 (+0200), Valentin Petzel wrote:
> >> From what I see pdftops appears to be intelligent enough to rasterize the
> >> file
> >> only if it does actually contain transparency. If it does it uses a much
> >> less
> >> smooth rasterization that is probably not fit for printing, so be careful
> >> with
> >> this! See the attached picture for a comparisation, the left one is poppler
> >> (pdftops), the right one gs (pdf2ps).
> >
> > How do you produce an original PDF for carrying out this test?
>
> I'm simply using a colored markup with alpha channel. Such as
> \markup\with-color #(rgb-color 1 0 0 0.5) "a"

I'm finding it difficult to replicate your attachment (reattached).
Perhaps if you could check my working: I'm running a website download
version of LP on Debian buster (10.10) amd64.

I'm not sure what effects I'm meant to see beyond the colours in
alpha.pdf, so I wasn't sure whether the 8-digit raw colour
specifications were actually working in some (invisible to me) way.
The only difference I can see between the measures is inconsistency
between the overlaps in the beams, stems and noteheads. I've looked at
the results with evince, gv, mupdf, xpdf and zathura.

What /is/ consistent between these attachments and my previous posts
is that, in all cases, pdf2ps is the program that introduces the
coarse zigzagging. (I'm assuming that that's what we're talking about,
with respect to rasterisation.)

Cheers,
David.