Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:52:04 -0700

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 09:52:09PM +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 10/09/2021 à 19:09, H. S. Teoh a écrit :
> > OK, I attached a contrived .ly file that produces 2 pages of music
> > (the effect is most noticeable when there's more than 1 page), and
> > two .pdf's, one compiled by the official Debian lilypond package
> > (2.22.1), and one by my local lilypond build (latest git master).
> >
> > The second file (test-bad.pdf) is noticeably slower to view on a PDF
> > viewer; this is especially noticeable when flipping between pages.
> > Whereas the first one (test-good.pdf) renders quickly and pages
> > quickly.
>
> What is your PDF reader? With all of Evince,
> Okular and Firefox's built-in PDF reader on my
> Ubuntu system, both files render fast enough and
> I cannot see a noticeable difference.
[...]

I'm using GV, which shows noticeably slowdown.  I tested again with
Evince; the slowdown is still there but only in a more complex score.
With the contrived score I posted it's not really noticeable. Also,
Evince appears to cache generated pages at startup: with a more complex
score there's a noticeable delay during startup, but thereafter about
2-3 pages are cached, and the delay only happens when you scroll to an
uncached page.  With 2.22.1, there is no such slowdown.

Since PDF reader performance seems an unreliable measure of this issue,
here's another one: running pdf2ps and then ps2pdf on the 2.22.1 score
produces a compressed score (well, sometimes it doesn't compress well
but the resulting file size is comparable to the original).  But on git
master, both pdf2ps and ps2pdf take a very long time to run, and produce
a .ps and second .pdf about 10x the size of the original file.

Something about the .pdf produced by (my build of) git master causes
these tools to behave an in unusual way, and I want to find out why, and
whether it's something caused by lilypond itself, or by some build
misconfiguration on my part.

It is of the new things that men tire --- of fashions and proposals and
improvements and change. It is the old things that startle and intoxicate. It
is the old things that are young. -- G.K. Chesterton