Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Latest lilypond git master creating PDF 1.4 files instead of 1.7
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 17:41:44 -0700

Hi all,

For a long time I have been using a local build of lilypond cloned from
git, IIRC around 2.21.0 or thereabouts.  Today, on a whim, I decided to
update lilypond to the latest git master.  After recompiling everything,
lilypond started producing version 1.4 PDF files instead of version 1.7
like it used to.  The resulting file is very slow to load or view with
my local PDF reader, which makes it very difficult to work with.

How do I coax lilypond to produce PDF 1.7 files again?  I'm not 100%
sure it's lilypond's fault; it could be something else in my environment
that changed, perhaps one of lilypond's dependencies?  But I'm at a
complete loss as to where to start looking.  Any pointers would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've
forgotten this before.