Re: Rehearsal marks and tempo markings

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Rehearsal marks and tempo markings
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:13:14 +0200

Le 22/09/2021 à 22:25, Nuno Trocado a écrit :
When rehearsal marks and tempo markings coincide in the same bar, the rehearsal mark is shifted slightly upwards to avoid a collision, and ends up in an awkward position...
See "B" in the following example:
\version "2.19.55"
\score{
  {
    r1
    \mark \default
    \tempo 4 = 120
    r1 r1
    \mark \default
    \tempo 4 = 120
    \repeat unfold 4 c''4
    r1
    \once \override Score.MetronomeMark.self-alignment-X = -1.25
    \mark \default
    \tempo 4 = 120
    \repeat unfold 4 c''4
    r1

Every time this happens I have to manually move the tempo marking to the right ("C" in the example).
I wonder if there is a better, more automatic way of accomplishing this.
Maybe there should be a mechanism like outside-staff-priority, but that moves the element with the lowest priority to the right, instead of away from the staff.

Try the \markLengthOn command described here:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects.fr.html#the-textlengthon-command

You example becomes:

\version "2.22.1"

{
  \markLengthOn
  r1
  \mark \default
  \tempo 4 = 120
  r1 r1
  \mark \default
  \tempo 4 = 120
  \repeat unfold 4 c''4
  r1
  \mark \default
  \tempo 4 = 120
  \repeat unfold 4 c''4
  r1
}

(Consider upgrading to the latest stable version, LilyPond 2.22.1.)

Best,
Jean