Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: musicXML: 2 staves, piano
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 22:17:23 +0000

On 9/24/21, 3:52 PM, "Lukas-Fabian Moser" <lukasfabianmoser@googlemail.com on
behalf of lfm@gmx.de> wrote:

    > I was tempted to offer a very high bounty to get a working xml-export.
    > Alas, we already have
    > https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/665 and the there
    > offered bounties are not that low ...

    One thing I noted while skimming through that issue and the linked
    conversations: There were statements along the lines of "once we can use
    guile2, it gets easier" (because of the sxml module). Now we know since
    (I think) May that it is possible to produce a production-quality
    LilyPond using Guile 2.2. (I used Jonas' experimental binary release for
    quite some time over the summer in my everyday work, without any problems.)

    So, while there are no regular official binary releases with Guile2 yet,
    I think it would now be quite acceptable to use Guile2 features in a
    possible XML export engine.

I totally agree that it would be acceptable to use Guile2 features.

Unfortunately, I think that Guile2 only helps with the Scheme structure to xml
conversion, making the "routine" part of the programming much easier.

I don't think that Guile2 will provide any help with what I think the
challenging parts of the problem are -- converting Lilypond data structures
into an appropriate Scheme structure for moving to xml.  But I could be
completely wrong.  Jacques certainly would know more about this than me.

Thanks,

Carl