Re: Setting relative pitch as a global declaration?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Setting relative pitch as a global declaration?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 18:52:52 +0100

David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed 09 Feb 2022 at 14:24:14 (+0000), Valentin Petzel wrote:
>>
>> I think Alasdair does not want to specify relative at toplevel, but
>> he has his voices in multiple consecutive parts, and he wants the
>> whole voice to be relative, instead of each part being separately
>> relative. This can of course simply be done using \relative pitch
>> {\partA \partB ...}.
>
> I think you've misinterpreted "part" as part of a movement, rather
> than part being an instrumental part.
>
> The OP will want to set the music as:
>
> movement1_part1 = { notes, notes, and more notes }
> movement2_part1 = { notes, notes, and more notes }
> movement3_part1 = { notes, notes, and more notes }
>
> to do what they posted, ie,
>
> \relative c { \movement1_part1 \movement2_part1 \movement3_part1 }
>
> This will enable them to set part2 for a high- or low-pitched
> instrument with one modification, and without changing the
> pitch of part1:
>
> \relative c' { \movement1_part2 \movement2_part2 \movement3_part2 }
>
> or
>
> \relative c, { \movement1_part2 \movement2_part2 \movement3_part2 }

I find that a pretty bad idea since changes in \movement1_part1 can
shift the octave of movement2_part1 around.  I think it makes more sense
to do octave shifts via \transpose rather than tieing the internals of
one passage to the next passage at a completely different place in the
source.

--
David Kastrup