Re: Accent size and stem length

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: Accent size and stem length
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 18:01:32 +0000

From: Erika Pirnes <erika.pirnes@hotmail.com

 The other thing is to have a more consistent length for stems. In my minimal example, the stems in the first measure look too short because in both measures they extend to the middle line. Any ideas?

I don't know about the accent question.

But as for the stems, the shorter ones in your example are the usual length (one octave), and the longer ones follow the traditional convention (applied by LilyPond as well as publishers in general) that stems of notes well outside the stave are extended to the middle line of the stave.  In music in parts, stems facing away from the stave may be somewhat shortened; I don't know whether LilyPond does this as well.

Paul