Re: Windows laptop

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Windows laptop
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 18:29:44 +0000

On 12/02/2022 08:31, Jeremiah Reilly wrote:
I have a current Mac setup with my audio, video, and graphics software. Terms like Celeron, Intel i3, S-Mode, Windows 10, Windows 11—these terms mean *nothing* to me, except that S-Mode seems to indicate that the user is locked into the Windows Store. That sounds bad, or at least Lilypond-incompatible.

All being well, this email will be totally irrelevant to you, but it may be useful anyway ...

Most PCs in the shop nowadays come with Windows S. I would recommend upgrading to Windows Pro - you can buy upgrade keys on the web pretty cheap, but read the vendor's instructions CAREFULLY. If you don't follow them, things have a habit of not working, and they keep changing!

If you're happy with Windows Home (which has basically had all the networking castrated), upgrading from Windows S is both free, and easy.

Oh - and the other route to consider, there always used to be Ubuntu Virtualbox or Vmware images of lilypond. Virtualbox is a freebie, and I think you can get free Vmware. If they run on Mac, that's another option...

Cheers,
Wol