Notehead substitution and Slur overrides

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Notehead substitution and Slur overrides
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 20:17:02 -0800

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble understanding why a notehead substitution function would interfere with some slur overrides. Any insight or help would be deeply appreciated.

Function in question takes a note at a pitch, and puts a quilisma graphic in its place (a bunch of PostScript commands I've stored in a variable):

noteQuilisma =
#(define-music-function (note) (ly:music?)
  #{
    \tweak NoteHead.stencil #ly:text-interface::print
    \tweak NoteHead.text \markup {
      \scale #'(0.24 . 0.24)
      \override #'(filled . #t)
      \path #0.0 #quilismaPathGreciliae
    }
    \tweak NoteHead.X-offset #0
    \tweak Stem.stencil ##f
    #note
  #}
)

However, when I use the following Slur overrides, they don't appear to work unless I use some much larger numbers than I would expect. Take away the quilisma, and it looks as expected.

\layout {
    \context {
        \Voice
        \override Slur.height-limit = #2.5
        \override Slur.ratio = #0.3
        \override Slur.minimum-length = #1.5
        \override Slur.details.free-head-distance = #1

Examples
1. Without \noteQuilisma on e (slur is adjusted as expected)
Without noteQuilisma.png

2. WIth \noteQuilisma on e (slur is not adjusted)
With noteQuilisma.png

3. WIth \noteQuilisma on e, and Slur.height-limit set to #5, and Slur.ratio set to 0.5 (ugly result, and much larger adjustment than expected)
With noteQuilisma and extreme adjustments.png

Many thanks,
mattfong