Re: Notehead substitution and Slur overrides

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Re: Notehead substitution and Slur overrides
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 08:13:08 -0800

Dear Jean and LilyPond friends,

My apologies for not initially including this, and it took time to get this reduction; At the same time, producing this example code raised additional observations about how the slur overrides work with other variables, which I can use some insight about. Thank you all in advance!

Please note in the code, I have marked these observations by a comment starting with:  % [Interaction: ... ]Commenting out noted lines out one at a time changes the Slur override behavior, and it seems rather unexpected.

File is attached (_reduction.ly), containing all the functions and the quilismaPathGreciliae PostScript path.

Observations for Slur above first note group without quilisma
1/ Changing the staff size has an effect on Slur overrides (Slur too close to notes)

2/ Altering the LyricHyphen.minimum-distance has an effect on Slur overrides (Slur too close to notes)

3/ Changing the lyrics has an effect on Slur overrides (Slur too close to notes)

4/ Interaction between Slur override settings
    a/ The desired result (nicer slur)
    \override Slur.height-limit = #2.5
    \override Slur.details.free-head-distance = #1

    b/ Increasing Slur.height-limit results in Slur too close to notes
    \override Slur.height-limit = #3
    \override Slur.details.free-head-distance = #1
    c/ Increasing Slur.details.free-head-distance gives the desired result, similar to (a)
    \override Slur.height-limit = #3
    \override Slur.details.free-head-distance = #1.5

5/ Finally, there is the original question about why the Slur above the first note group with the quilisma remains unaffected by any Slur overrides

Graphical explanation
Desired result

DesiredResult.png

Slur too close